“Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life.” -Proverbs 31:11
Dr. Gary Chapman’s book, The Five Love Languages, explains how love can be expressed in different ways. Dr. Chapman’s descriptions of the five love languages are listed below.
This person feels love when others touch them lovingly. Holding hands, kissing, hugging, and sex are all lifelines for those whom physical touch is the primary love language.
Acts of Service
This person feels love when others help them or serve them. Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes.
Words of Affirmation
This person feels love when a spouse verbally approves or affirms them. Verbal compliments or words of appreciation are powerful communicators of love.
This person feels love when others spend time with them. Eye contact, time, and undivided attention speak love.
This person feels love when others give them thoughtful things. Don’t mistake this love language for materialism, however. The receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift but their appreciation has nothing to do with cost.
Low/No Cost ideas to express love to your husband:
- Decorate index cards as coupons for your husband to redeem for things such as:
- Foot massage
- Car wash
- Walk in the park
- Candlelight dinner with favorite dish
- Make multiple cards/notes, each emphasizing a character quality you respect about your husband. If you use these for Valentine’s Day, make 14 cards and give one a day beginning February 1.
- Plan an “after-dark date” after the kids go to bed. Light candles and enjoy a special dessert or movie.
- Think of twelve creative, low-cost dates and organize them into a decorated box, one date for each month of the year. Suggestions include:
- Bake cookies together
- Walk around the neighborhood or to a nearby park
- Take a trip to the zoo on a free entrance day
- Using a pad of sticky notes, write on each sheet: I respect you because _________, or I love you because ________. Stick them to the inside of his car, a bathroom mirror, or on his desk at work.
- Purchase a heart-shaped dish and cook his favorite casserole or dessert in a “love” dish.
- Fill a jar with his favorite nuts and secretly place on his desk at work. Make a label on top that says, “I’m nuts about you.”