family advent wreath
Things you’ll need:
- Advent wreath—Styrofoam circle covered in greenery laid
- 3 purple candles, 1 pink candle, 1 large white candle—press the 4 candles into the wreath, equally distributed, and place the larger candle in the center of the wreath on the table.
Select 5 times during the Christmas season—once each week for 5 weeks or 5 individual days.
- Light one purple candle, which symbolizes HOPE. This prophecy candle reminds us of the Old Testament promise that God would send a Light. The New Testament reveals that Jesus is that Light. Read Isaiah 9:6-7 and John 8:12.
- Sing “Joy to the World.” Allow the sparkling lights to remind you that the Light of the world has come. Thank God for sending Jesus.
- Light two purple candles that symbolize PEACE. God desires to have peace with mankind, and Jesus is the Prince of Peace. Read Luke 2:1-7.
- Look through family baby pictures. Sing “Away in a Manger.”
Thank God for His precious Son, born as a baby in Bethlehem, and for the peace He gives.
- Light three purple candles that symbolize JOY. The shepherd’s candle reminds us of the joy that filled their hearts when they heard the good news. Read Luke 2:8-20.
- Sing “Silent Night.” How can you share Jesus’ joy with someone this week?
- Light 3 purple candles and one pink candle. This candle reminds us of the LOVE that Jesus has for us. The wise men followed a special light to give their love to baby Jesus.
- Sing “O Come All Ye Faithful” and discuss how you can show your love for Jesus during this Christmas season.
- Light all five candles. The large central candle is symbolic of JESUS. Read John 3:16 and 1 John 4:9-11. God’s plan of HOPE, PEACE, JOY, and LOVE is found in JESUS.
- Sing “Happy Birthday” to Jesus and “Jesus Loves Me.” Thank God for His gift of Jesus—the Baby that grew up to be the Savior of the World.
- Discuss how you can give the Gift of Jesus to others.