Life lessons learned from the stars and movie stars
Action, mystery, romance, comedy, and Sci-Fi are just a few of the movie genres. Typically, we watch movies for entertainment but with intentionality, movie viewing can be so much more. A well-chosen movie can open a dialogue on character, friendship, and choices. Plan an adventurous movie night under the stars. Use a projector or gather your family on a blanket and watch the movie on a portable DVD player. You may choose to maximize the evening with a double-feature and movie snacks!
If you’re watching the movie for the first time, discuss your expectations before viewing:
- Who are the characters in the movie?
- Who is the “star”? Who is the enemy?
- Where does the movie take place?
- Why do you want to watch this movie?
As you watch the movie, consider the “W’s”:
Who – What – Where – When – Why
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.”
After the movie, use a few of these questions to open a dialogue:
- What were you thinking when the movie was over?
- What did you learn from the movie?
- What did you like best and least?
- Who was your favorite character? Why?
- Why would you recommend (or not recommend) this movie?
- What part of the story was the most powerful or memorable? Why?
- If you were writing this movie, would you change anything?
- What feelings did a character have that you could identify with? How did that character handle those emotions?
- What difficult choices did the star make? What were the results of his/her decision?
- What/who influenced him/her to make those choices?
- When did you observe a good decision? Did you observe a bad decision?
- Who are the “movie stars” in this movie? What makes them a movie star? Money, popularity, friends?
The star of a movie is often influenced by someone—whether a friend or an enemy. The Bible speaks of the importance of choosing friends wisely.
Proverbs 17:17, “A friend love at all times.”
Proverbs 13:20, “He who walks with the wise grows wise…”
Discuss the kind of friends you should choose and the kind of friend you should be.
Share personal examples of the effect of friends in your life.
Share photos of your family movie night using #outdoorfamilyadventure.