Why wait for Valentine’s Day to plan a special date night? It’s ALWAYS the right time to strengthen your marriage.
Use the following discussion guide to be more intentional about meeting your spouse’s greatest need.
- Schedule a dinner, coffee date, or an after-the -kids’-bedtime-at-home-dessert-date with your spouse.
- Watch a few Dr. Emerson Eggerichs’ short videos as he speaks to the value of love and respect in marriage. These resources are available in Bellevue’s Library, Bookstore, or on YouTube.
- Example 2 minute video on “Spiderwebbing”. (funny story to launch conversation)
- YouTube has a collection of videos of varying lengths using SEARCH: Love and Respect Eggerichs
- Each spouse should answer the questions below prior to your planned date.
During The Date
Reflecting on both before and after marriage date nights, discuss your favorite dates as a couple. Enjoy the memories of these dates while reflecting on the thoughts below.
- What was the location, atmosphere, and activity?
- What made each memory a favorite date night, and what makes the memories so special today?
- Did your favorite date include conversation, physical activity, special location, or did you experience something new together?
- Would it be possible to a recreate your favorite date while making new memories?
Complete the appropriate category of questions prior to your date night discussion. During your date, discuss how you answered the questions. What suggested “baby steps” would you be willing to implement to strengthen the love and respect in your marriage?
Read Ephesians 5:25–28 and answer the following:
- Do you agree with Dr. Eggerichs that your wife’s primary marital need is to be cherished by you?
- What are some ways you try to show her sacrificial love and prioritize her above yourself?
- What are 2–3 ways she needs or prefers that you show love to her but that you might find difficult?
- What do you think your wife would say if you invited her to offer a few “baby step” suggestions how you can better meet her needs?
Read Ephesians 5:22–24 and answer the following:
- Do you agree that your husband needs to feel respected?
- What are some ways you try to show that you admire and respect him?
- What are 2–3 ways he would appreciate you to show respect but are ways that may be more difficult for you to do?
- What do you think your husband would say if you invited him to offer a few “baby step” suggestions on how you can better meet his need for respect?
Read Ephesians 5:31–33. How does the parallel marriage between Christ and His Bride (the church) challenge and encourage you. Ask God to help your marriage model the relationship between Christ and His Bride as you grow in mutual expressions of love and respect.
Get your family calendars and confirm your next date night. You are worth the investment.
CLICK HERE for other date night ideas.