“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church–” Ephesians 5:25
Dr. Gary Chapman’s book, The Five Love Languages, explains how love can be expressed in different ways. Dr. Chapman’s descriptions of the five love languages are listed below.
This person feels love when others touch them lovingly. Holding hands, kissing, hugging, and sex are all lifelines for those whom physical touch is the primary love language.
Acts of Service
This person feels love when others help them or serve them. Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes.
Words of Affirmation
This person feels love when a spouse verbally approves or affirms them. Verbal compliments or words of appreciation are powerful communicators of love.
This person feels love when others spend time with them. Eye contact, time, and undivided attention speak love.
This person feels love when others give them thoughtful things. Don’t mistake this love language for materialism, however. The receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift but their appreciation has nothing to do with cost.
Low/No Cost ideas to express love to your wife:
- Create coupons. Ideas could include coupons for:
- Hugs and back rubs
- A favorite meal prepared together
- A night off from all kitchen chores
- Verbalize qualities that initially attracted you to your wife as well as qualities you currently admire. Encourage your wife in the activities and hobbies that she enjoys.
- Send an hourly email or text to your wife on Valentine’s Day. Include links to songs, poems, Bible verses, or your own personalized love note.
- Think of twelve creative, low-cost dates and organize them into a decorated box, one date for each month of the year. Suggestions include:
- Bake cookies together
- Walk around the neighborhood or to a nearby park
- Take a trip to the zoo on a free entrance day
- Movie night at home after the kid’s bedtime
- Print two copies of your wedding vows and insert them into matching frames. Discuss your wedding day while looking through your pictures. Watch a video of your ceremony, if you have one, and repeat your vows to each other.
- Surprise your spouse with a foot washing! Fill a dishpan with hot water, bath oil, and fragrance. After washing, massage a fragrant lotion into her feet. Share your desire to serve her by asking; “What can I help you with this week?”